JANUARY 9-19, 2014, ABRONS ARTS CENTER
American Realness, the “stronghold of forward-thinking, category-defying performance” (The New York Times) returns to the Abrons Arts Center, January 9-19, 2014. The 2014 program will celebrate five years of presenting adventurous new works, instigating cross-cultural exchange, connecting experimental artists with the culture hungry audiences of New York City, and changing the landscape of the performing arts marketplace known as APAP.
For 2014 tbspMGMT once again utilizes all theater and gallery spaces at the Abrons Arts Center for an immersive program featuring fifty-two performances of fourteen productions in eleven days. In addition, American Realness includes two off site engagements presented by Museum of Modern Art and MoMA PS1. For the first time since its inception, American Realness includes a selection of works authored solely by international artists, highlighting the global resonance of “realness” as a contemporary performative practice throughout the program.
American Realness presents Three World Premieres:
• Ishmael Houston-Jones and Emily Wexler, 13 Love Songs: dot dot dot
• Mårten Spångberg, La Substances, but in English, commissioned and presented by MoMA PS1 Sunday Sessions
• Jillian Peña, Polly Pocket
Four US Premieres:
• Moriah Evans with Sarah Beth Percival, Out of and Into (8/8): STUFF
• Eszter Salamon, Dance for Nothing, presented by Museum of Modern Art
• Eleanor Bauer, Midday and Eternity (the time piece)
• Dana Michel, Yellow Towel
Two New York Premieres
• Adam Linder, Cult to the Built on What
• Scott Heron, Lights Up A Tragedy as a part of PRODIGAL HEROES, An evening of Legendary New York. Also featuring Lucy Sexton as The Factress and Anne Iobst as The Naked Lady. Special finale by DANCENOISE.
Seven Encore Engagements
• Michelle Boulé, WONDER
• Tina Satter, House of Dance, co-presented by PS 122’s COIL Festival 2014
• Adrienne Truscott, …Too Freedom…
• Juliana F. May, Commentary=not thing
• Miguel Gutierrez, myendlesslove
• Neal Medlyn, King
• Rebecca Patek, ineter(a)nal f/ear
Additionally American Realness presents Four Exhibitions:
• Sarah Maxfield, Nonlinear Lineage: Over/Heard
• Ian Douglas, Instant Realness
• Neal Medlyn & Fawn Krieger, The POP-MEDLYN Hall of Fame
• Ann Liv Young, Sherry Art Fair
Collaborating for the first time are Under the Radar, COIL, American Realness and PROTOTYPE, to create a multi-festival party under one big roof. The Lounge is late night, every night at The Public (3rd Floor). You are invited to hang out, have a drink and catch up with fellow audience members, festival artists and professional colleagues. Let loose after long days with lots of shows. We have brought together an eclectic mix of adventurous
music, cabaret, performance, and late night revelry from Invincible, Champagne Jerry, M. Lamar, CHRISTEENE and Nick Hallett among others. It’s four festivals with one party: dancing encouraged.
Additional events include Show & Tell, presenting works-in-progress from choreographers RoseAnne Spradlin and Melinda Ring; and classes with choreographer/performers Michelle Boulé and Eleanor Bauer.
It looks like the most bad-ass Realness to date. Break out your calendar and book tickets December 16!